Born in a blizzard

They say it was the craziest weather they have ever seen.

Rain one minute, snow the next.

Quiet. Very quiet.

Almost a stillness was in the air.

The black-and-white television was showing “Columbo.”

She said to her husband, “I don’t feel right. I am going to bed.”

It was around 10 p.m.

He told her he was going to stay up a bit and watch his show.

Finally, he joined her.

Several hours later, her water broke.

He started to panic.

He looked out the window and saw white.

He opened the front door of their little house in Bowling Green, Ohio only to be nearly smacked in the face with snow.

The couple had never seen so much snow in their entire lives.

It was piled high up and it had drifted too.

And, it was still snowing.

No one was driving or walking.

He couldn’t even walk to the outside garage.

He started to panic again.

He called 911.

“My wife is in labor!!!” he yelled at the dispatcher. “What am I suppose to do?”

She told him to calm down and she would send help.

He paced the floors while his young wife remained calm and gathered up her belongings.

Finally, help arrived. The emergency crew shoveled a path for the soon-to-parents and placed them inside an emergency-type vehicle and drove at a snail’s pace to the Wood County Hospital.

Throughout the day, the word “blizzard” was thrown around the hospital like snowballs flying through the air. Hardly anyone was able to report for work. After the baby was born, the new father helped pass out trays of food to other patients.

The National Guard was eventually driven in to help the community.

Bowling Green State University closed its doors. Students walked to grocery stores and stocked up on bread, milk and beer.

No one knew when the storm would pass, or how long it would take to dig the city out of the snow.

The woman who gave birth to her first-born on Jan. 26, 1978 ended up staying in the hospital for a week. She also had to celebrate her birthday in the hospital. No family was able to make the drive to see the new baby. The phone lines were also down. Their best-friends were the only ones who were able to visit because they too lived in Bowling Green.

The courageous (and panicked) man was my dad. The strong, brave woman was my mom. It was a day that my parents will never forget.